If you arrived here and are interested in the latest top 10 list, click here. Otherwise please read on.
And I’m back for more with lots of new discoveries this month. To repeat the ground rules, the only one is that the wines listed all have to have been either purchased or available during the month to which the post refers. Again I will place the rankings from the previous month in parenthesis and provide some details on those that have fallen out of the rankings. Without further adieu here are the rankings:
1. 2005 Epicuro Aglianico – $5 (Feb Rank: 1) – Third month in a row and still enjoying each and every bottle.
2. 2006 Concha y Toro Casillero del Diablo Carmenere – $7 (Feb Rank: 2) – Old reliable. When it just “needs” to be good I grab this one every time.
3. 2004 Columbia Crest Two Vines Cabernet Sauvignon – $6 (Feb Rank: NR) – I’ve been doing a varietal tour of the Columbia Crest Two Vines and this one was a revelation. If you are new to wine start here!
4. 2006 Geyser Peak California Sauvignon Blanc – $8 (Feb Rank: 4) – Now that the weather is getting better I expect to be enjoying this one more and more often.
6. 2006 Castle Rock Monterrey County Pinot Noir – $10 (Feb Rank: 9) – I had another bottle this month and was pleased. Still seems pricey but if you just have to have a Pinot this is the one.
7. 2006 Callaway California Chardonnay – $5 (Feb Rank: NR) – Those regular readers out there may be picking themselves off the floor finding a Chard here but it is true. Give it a try and you’ll see why!
8. 2005 Kono Sauvignon Blanc – $8 (Feb Rank: 6) – Still in stock and with warmer weather looming looking forward to drinking some more white.
9. 2004 Evans & Tate Cabernet Sauvignon Underground Series – $5 (Feb Rank: NR) – Can’t quite remember if this cost $4 or $5 but either way this screwcap is a great offering for the price.
10. 2003 Columbia Crest Two Vines Merlot – $6 (Feb Rank: 5) – This one falls though not sure if it isn’t being treated unfairly based on a sibling being rated #3. I still have another bottle here so I haven’t stopped buying it yet.
Falling – these have seen their stock fall over the last month…
2006 Aquila d’Oro Toscana – $4 (Feb Rank: 8) – Still nice but with the Aglianico ranking #1 my focus has shifted outside of Italy for the time being.
2005 Archero Nero d’ Avola Ruggero di Tasso – $4 (Feb Rank: 10) – Ditto above!
Gone – these appear to no longer be available…let me know if you have seen them!
2005 Rocking Horse Napa Valley Zinfandel – $8 (Feb Rank: 3) – Think this may still be around but haven’t seen it lately…
2004 Chasing Clouds Central Ranges Shiraz – $3 (Feb Rank: 7) – Again ditto above!
That’s a wrap! If you are enjoying these Top 10 list please leave me a comment to let me know. Been a little less motivated to post lately so I could use the feedback!