If you arrived here and are interested in the latest top 10 list, follow this link now!
Another month, another list! Quick refresher on the ground rules; wines listed all have to have been either purchased or available during the month to which the post refers. The rankings from the previous month will be provided in parenthesis and I will provide some details on those that have fallen out of the rankings. Now on to the good stuff…
1. 2005 Epicuro Aglianico – $5 (Mar Rank: 1) – Four months running…I wanted to move it down, but it is too unique and enjoyable at this price to do so without a worthy replacement.
2. 2006 Michel Leon Gewurztraminer – $7 (Mar Rank: 5) – Leaving me before I even knew you. I grabbed another bottle of this earlier in the month but haven’t seen it since.
3. 2006 Concha y Toro Casillero del Diablo Carmenere – $7 (Mar Rank: 2) – Still delivering. When it just “needs” to be good I grab this one every time.
4. 2006 Castle Rock Monterrey County Pinot Noir – $10 (Mar Rank: 6) – Getting back on a Pinot kick and this one is delivering.
6. 2004 Columbia Crest Two Vines Cabernet Sauvignon – $6 (Mar Rank: 3) – I enjoyed this one enough to spend the extra $2 on the Grand Estates. Stay tuned to see what a difference it makes.
7. 2005 Kono Sauvignon Blanc – $8 (Mar Rank: 8) – Warmer weather on the horizon means time to stock up.
8 (tie). 2005 Les Moirets Cotes du Rhone – 6 (Mar Rank: NR)/ 2005 Perrin Cotes du Rhone Reserve – $7 (Mar Rank: NR) – It was hard to make a call on these first time around. They are due for a face to face taste off. The comments on quaffability leave me nervous about the Les Moirets.
9. 2006 Callaway California Chardonnay – $5 (Mar Rank: 7) – Chardonnay where you can taste the fruit. What a pleasant surprise!
10. 2004 Evans & Tate Cabernet Sauvignon Underground Series – $4 (Mar Rank: 9) – Good news it was only $4, looking forward to the next bottle.
Falling – these have seen their stock fall over the last month…
2003 Columbia Crest Two Vines Merlot – $6 (Mar Rank: 10) – I bought another bottle just days ago so it hasn’t fallen all that far but something had to go…
Gone – these appear to no longer be available…let me know if you have seen them!
I think both the Michel Leon Gewurztraminer and the Castle Rock Monterry Pinot are in slim supply if not gone so if of interest grab them sooner rather than later!
And that’s 10 for April…Look for a big mix up in May as I have a bunch of new wines on hands and the first few look promising. I’ll get those posted soon!