If you arrived here and are interested in the latest top 10 list, click here. Otherwise please read on.
Another month has come and gone making it time to revisit my Top 10 Trader Joe’s Wines. With the seasons changing I thought whites might become scarcer but the weather in my neck of the woods is still doing plenty to encourage early evening quaffing with the sun setting in the background. Without further adieu…the ground rules; wines listed all have to have been either purchased or available during the month to which the post refers. The rankings from the previous month will be provided in parenthesis and I will provide some details on those that have fallen out of the rankings. With two new entrants in the top two spots this month let’s get to it.
1. 2006 The California Wine Party Franc Merlot – $5 (Previous Rank: 2) – Perfect for the debate season, get some before tomorrow night!
2. 2005 Chariot Gypsy – $5 (Previous Rank: NR) – Reminds me of my favorite wine ever, at a fraction of the price.
3. 2006 Geyser Peak California Sauvignon Blanc – $8 (Previous Rank: 1) – Seasons are changing but this one is standing the test of time. (link is for 2006)
4. 2006 Dynamic Red Table Wine- $9 (Previous Rank: 6) – Perhaps you could say this is a much more elegant version of the Franc Merlot. Certainly worth every penny but a bit pricey. (review not yet posted)
5. 2007 King Shag Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc – $7 (Previous Rank: 10) Enjoy this one more and more each time I drink it.
6. 2005 Epicuro Aglianico – $5 (Previous Rank: 9) This one has made it back into my rotation and reminded me why it was ranked number one for so many months in a row.
7. 2007 Novella Synergy Blanc – $6 (Previous Rank: 7) –Mistakenly referred to as Chardonnay last month, while the name has changed the enjoyment factor has not. A great white blend that will surely please all.
8. 2006 Concha y Toro Casillero del Diablo Carmenere – $8 (Previous Rank: 8) – Still dependable but with the Franc Merlot and Chariot Gypsy in the picture getting relegated to the back burner. (link is for 2006)
9. 2005 Santa Ynez Valley Winery Cabernet Franc – $9 (Previous Rank: 4) – Like the Carmenere this has been a bit overshadowed by the excellent Cabernet Franc blends available right now. Still, looking forward to the next bottle soon. (link is for 2005)
10. 2007 Chateau des Cleons Muscadet Sevre et Maine “Sur Lie” – $6 (Previous Rank: NR) – A nice, light refreshing wine made to be consumed on the patio with friends on a warm summer evening.
Falling – these have seen their stock fall over the last month…
• 2005 Kono Sauvignon Blanc – $8 (Previous Rank: 5) – It may be the hideous new label throwing me off here, or the $2 extra per bottle versus the King Shag either way it has at least temporarily lost its luster.
Gone – these appear to no longer be available…let me know if you have seen them!
• 2003 Alderbrook Old Vine Zinfandel – $8 (Previous Rank: 3) – Should have gotten more of this one while I had the chance…