If you arrived here and are interested in the latest top 10 list, follow this link now!
Is it already June! Time for another list…The ground rules; wines listed all have to have been either purchased or available during the month to which the post refers. The rankings from the previous month will be provided in parenthesis and I will provide some details on those that have fallen out of the rankings. With a new #1 this month let’s get to it. Without further adieu…
1. 2006 Geyser Peak California Sauvignon Blanc – $8 (Apr Rank: 5) – This is the best Sauvignon Blanc I have ever had including that stuff from the Kiwi’s…
2. 2005 Epicuro Aglianico – $5 (Apr Rank: 1) Off the pedestal, half itching to make a change, half getting used to it. It didn’t stop me from buying another case this month…
3. 2005 XS Red California Cabernet Sauvignon – $4 – From the Hess Family at this price hard to go wrong. Varietal characteristics included. A perfect quaffer. Just don’t buy it at Cost Plus where it cost 50% more.
4. 2003 Red Flyer California Red – $3 – Another low budget winner from Trader Joe’s. With the unique blend here thought about rating this higher than the XS based on uniqueness alone. Do yourself a favor and grab three bottles of each for a case ($60), sit back and enjoy!
5. 2005 Kono Sauvignon Blanc – $8 (Apr Rank: 7) – With the move to a warmer client look for the whites to climb the ranking. This isn’t the Geyser Peak but it is sure a nice change of pace.
6. 2006 Concha y Toro Casillero del Diablo Carmenere – $7 (Apr Rank: 3) – I feel guilty seeing this one all the way down here. Still loving it and sure it will climb back up soon enough.
8. 2005 Gravity Hills Base Camp Syrah – $5 – A winner amongst the Syrah. Most of the offerings here leave me wanting for more. This one has me buying more.
9. 2006 Michel Leon Gewurztraminer – $7 (Apr Rank: 2) – Sweet wines don’t work well with warm weather. That said this is again widely available and great with spicy food.
10. 2006 Callaway California Chardonnay – $5 (Apr Rank: 9) – Still the only California Chard I have enjoyed from Trader Joe’s
Falling – these have seen their stock fall over the last month…
2004 Evans & Tate Cabernet Sauvignon Underground Series – $4 (Apr Rank: 10) – With the XS in town this one has fallen to the wayside. Though will likely give it a try again someday.
2005 Les Moirets Cotes du Rhone – 6 (Apr Rank: 8T)/ 2005 Perrin Cotes du Rhone Reserve – $7 (Apr Rank: 8T) – These two were tied for 8th in April and I have a bottle of each awaiting the tiebreaker. They have been waiting all month thus the fall from glory. One will likely rejoin in June. Stay tuned…
2003 Columbia Crest Two Vines Merlot – $6 – This one wasn’t ranked in April but since I am still buying more it is on the fringe and worthy of note.
Gone – these appear to no longer be available…let me know if you have seen them!
2006 Castle Rock Monterrey County Pinot Noir – $10 (Apr Rank: 4) – Looks like the Mendocino and the California labels are the only ones remaining.
And that’s 10 for May…Let me know what you think via the comments and ratings. Appreciate all those to date and do realize I owe some responses. I will catch up soon! Look for a lot of new white reviews in June and perhaps even some bubbly….